Following my research on the DaDa movement, I arranged permission to film some of the dance students in one of their practical lessons. The footage that I obtained had a nice selection of subjects performing various rolls and movements on the floor. This gave me a nice neutral, flat background to film against to allow the dancers movements to be the main focus of the film. I selected two sections to experiment with in Studio Artist. Below is a screen grab of Adobe Premier and a clip of the selected footage.
In this version I have nearly finalised my video edit. I have a few ideas of how to tidy it up and to add effects to it. I thought I’d take the time to play around with the audio. I had the idea of listening to a wire tap and replicating the hiss and distortion. I used Adobe Audition to generate a voice reading a description of surveillance, although I found it a little robotic so am currently trying to line up someone to record the script. I like the sense of menace it adds to the piece, including the lack of voice in the last scene, allowing the view to observe the subject. Below are a few research samples from a real FBI wire tap, the movie “The Conversation” and TV show “The Wire”.
Stills from other elements of the edit.
I’ve been experimenting with photographic elements to add to the video. I’ve thought about adding biological/physical aspects of the human body, to try to incorporate the development of the finger prints and eye scans for security protocols – like unlocking your phone. I have also read some interesting articles of security services using DNA to track/profile you, I have included links at the bottom. In addition to the scans of my fingers, I have photographed some microscope slides of biological items/sections. I’m not sure how to include these with the direction that my edit is heading.